Monday, April 7, 2008

Wild Safari Park

Up north, about 45 min drive, is a place called The Wild Safari Park. I found it online when looking up things to do during our time here in Georgia. We thought we'd check it out, because according to the website, you get to be up close and personal with the wildlife. We had no idea just how close and personal it was going to get.
All the animals are in a 9 acre gated property. There were different kinds ranging from cattle, to emus, to pigs, and more. You can drive through with your own vehicle or one of the Safari's vehicle. Afterwards, we wished we had used the Safari's because our truck was covered in slime, and yucky stuff all down the windows and side.
They knew that we had food, which you could buy at the ticket counter. It was just these hard pellets of food in a bag, but they craved it like candy!
This giraffe was in its own little gated pen, but still managed to stick its long neck over the fence, and into our truck to get at the treat. It was so AWESOME getting that up close to an actual live giraffe!
This poor guy's horn was curving down and around his head, poor thing.
This was the only time Izzy was willing to feed the animals. She was terrified of them and refused to let us roll down her window.
Shaun got to feed the Zebras, which was fine by me because the brochure said that the emus, and zebras will bite if you are not careful.
This poor camel's face was torn up by the fence I think. It's skin was flopping around abnormally.
Shaun, being who he is, held on to the food to get the ostrich closer. So guess what happens? It closed its entire beak over Shaun's hand up to his knuckles and bit hard! Took Shaun by complete surprise. I had to say that I told him he was going to get hurt doing that.




After the Safari ride, there was a small walk in zoo you could go through.

I felt so bad for this Monkey. I don't know if it was a tumor or just natural to its species, either way it looked extremely painful!
I am such a bad mom sometimes! I forgot the sunscreen, so I bought Ian this little cute hat at the gift shop. It was the only thing they had that would fit. Turned out it just made him look cuter!
Can you believe this crocodile is 75 years old! You can't tell by the picture, but up close this guy was HUGE!
Its been awhile since I've been up close to a peacock, and I have to say their feathers are amazing. One of the peacocks kept going up to a hen thinking it was one of its own and ruffling his feathers at her. Of course she paid no attention to such behavior.
I would have added one more picture of the world's only Liger. That's right, this park had about four Ligers, an offspring of a tiger and a lion,...Liger. I just was just wondering why anyone would want to do that and completely forgot to take pictures. Don't worry, Shaun got us a year membership so I'll dedicate a post just to Ligers.



3 comments:

  1. those pictures are just crazy! i think i would freak out, and i know i'd hate all the slober and slime on my car. disgusting! good tip if we ever go...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok. that is AWESOME! When we come and visit sometime, we are totally going there! i love the giraffe picture and Ian with his cute hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I remember doing something like this during my pre-teen years. I remember the slobber all over the car windows and my hands. Cool but kind of gross:)

    ReplyDelete