Monday, September 15, 2008

Time for Something Different

As I update myself on other people's blogs, I realize that a lot of you will post ones that have no pictures and just a few paragraphs describing an event or a thought. I really would like to do that more, something that's different and hopefully inspiring to read.
Okay, here's the thing, my life mostly composes around my two kids. So, where do I find the time for some personal reflection? Not very often. Once the kids are in bed Shaun and I sit down for some couple time, watching a movie, or playing a game together on the Xbox. Then, if I don't get to bed right away I'll suffer for it the next day with a headache when the kids are up and need me roaring to go.
I would love to go back to school and relearn all that my little brain has forgotten over the years. Lately my brain feels like mush, I feel like I have a brain of a teenager, like, for real!
Any suggestions on what would be a good course of action on the path to enlightenment? I know that someday I would like to go back to work when the kids are older. I'd like to do something that has the exact same hours and holidays as the kids would have. Something in the Education department, maybe. My dream would be to become a librarian, but we all know how impossible that is nowadays with the way the world is becoming more computerized and less book wise. I heard the librarian and the Physical education departments are one of the first to go if the school is tight on funds. That would be my other dream is to be a PT teacher. Weird I know, unrealistic I know. So that's why I thought of the possibility of being a Speech pathologist. They are in high demand, and I have the years of background experience to relate to the kids.
What are everyone else's thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. Speech pathologist would be awesome Liz! go for it. you can take a few night classes or even online classes while your kids are little, and then when they start school you can take a bigger course load during the day! I think the whole librarian idea sounds fantastic too and you would be sooooo good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to burst your bubble, but being able to have a job in Education that "seems" like you have the same amount of time off as your kids doesn't really work out that way. As a teacher, you are busy on your time off and your job never ends...especially not when the school day ends. It is rewarding but time consuming. Librarians definitely have a better schedule and I hope there will always be a need for them. They help with other things too. Speech pathology would be a great field to go into, but I don't know their hours. I'm probably not much help am I? For what it is worth, continuing education for whatever reason is so important no matter what you learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmm.
    Yes, Becky, my fellow teacherette, certainly is correct about the time. Librarian jobs, P.E., music, and art teachers seem to be expendible now days. Speech pathologists seem to have wonderful school work hours from what I have observed. There are alternative related speech pathologist jobs, as well. Your family goal is the very best plan you could have. Love those children! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Liz. All I have to say is go for it! I think you'll be surprised at the flexibility you get in a job when they need you. Be the best and you will create demand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah i agree with heather! take some night classes and go for it. i finished my degree through night classes and i'll never regret it. Just Do It:)-nike

    ReplyDelete