Thursday, June 24, 2010

Shaun + Malaysia

I just got back from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, all bought and paid for by my good buddy Uncle Sam. I won't waste blog space with details about the boring conference I had to attend. It took three days to get there from Hawaii. I flew from Oahu to Japan, then to Singapore, and then finally to Malaysia. I got to visit a bunch of cool temples and whatnot. I took around a few hundred pictures. Here are a few.
Thean Hou Temple near the kings palace. I thought I'd seen it all. How foolish was I. Consider me enlightened. I was nearly transcended but strangely found myself still tethered to this mortal coil. Maybe there are lessons I have yet to learn.

Dang Dude!!!! Makes me want to change religions.

I found myself tired from all of the walking I did. Fortunately these altars had something soft for me to kneel on and relax while looking at them.


Unfortunately for me, I was not born in the year of the dragon. I got stuck with the much less impressive snake. I didn't even want to take a picture of the snake which only stood two feet tall. Lame.


I couldn't find where to put the quarters so I had to pretend that it was moving.


Sweeet!


Batu Caves. This golden statue has only been around for four years.




272 stairs to a cave full of temple stuff.


These were everywhere. I couldn't decide which one to pray to, so I prayed to them all.

I couldn't resist.

The caves kept going with these little shrines scattered throughout.

We heard about this place that had fish that would eat the dead skin off the bottom of peoples feet. I didn't feel much different afterward. Had to try it out though.

Voracious like pirhanas.

Since everything was so cheap, I tried the "Cupping" as well. Said to remove the "toxins" out of my back, It, like the fish feet thing, massages, chiropractors, acupuncture, and anything else like it, are pretty silly. Shoot dang, I could make some real money if told people to smear manure all over their faces and backed it up with words like "removes toxins", "therapeutic", and "balances chi".

From atop Petronas Towers as seen on the movie "Entrapment".



Maybe I could look like this guy if I smoked these.

Japan, Just like I imagined. Didn't have time to go to Tokyo though. My flight to Singapore was leaving soon.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Shaun! such an adventure. Sure seems like there are a lot of shrines and unusual objects. It is amazing to experience such an intensely different culture first hand. I'm glad you had this trip.
    Love and miss you so much,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. shoot dang you're awesome. someday i hope to be as cool as you! i love the picture of you with all the japanese girls!!! looks like an awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh. and the fish eating your feet is gross. but i would want to try it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I was nearly transcended but strangely found myself still tethered to this mortal coil." Thanks be to our lucky stars that you're still here. What would we do without our beloved Shaun?

    And shoot dang dude... change religions...whatever works, right. It's all pretty much the same in the end. When we were in Egypt I learned more about Muslims and it all boils down to the same basics. It's all cool if you ask me. Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, etc. I think the idea is just to be good, or something like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm telling Julie what you said... Also, Awwwesome trip - I want to go to there.

    ReplyDelete