Friday, June 20, 2008

Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain is the granite dome monadock located in Stone Mountain, Georgia a suburb of Atlanta. At its summit, the elevation is 1,683 feet and 825 feet above the surrounding plateau. The mountain extends underground to several surrounding counties. Stone Mountain is claimed by some to be the largest exposed granite 'stone' in the world. By comparison, however, it is only about one quarter the height of El Capitan in Yosemite (3,000 feet above valley level), the tallest known exposed granite monolith on earth. Stone Mountain is well-known not only for its geology, but also for the enormous bas-relief on its north face, the largest bas-relief in the world. Three figures of the Confederate States of America are carved there: Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis.
We wanted to hike up to the top first and then explore the small olde fashion town they built at the base. The whole place is just beautiful. Who ever comes to visit this is a must see.
The sun was too bright for her eyes.
People have been sticking their gum on this pole for who knows how long. It looked so yummy I thought I'd give it a lick. Mmmmm, taste like cherry.
Izzy didn't want to walk anymore so I carried her on my back for awhile. It wasn't long till I was struggling up the mountain. Despite my pleas to let me carry Ian while Shaun help Isabel the rest of the way, he refused to let me have either of them. Shaun is always looking out for me. No matter how he feels he always puts his family first. I married such an incredible person.
Look closely you can see the city in the background. The view was breathtaking.
After the hike we walked up to get a closer view of the carvings. Pretty cool.
For dinner we ate at a real olde fashion SOUTHERN restaurant that had the best rolls EVER! Oh my goodness they were good.


8 comments:

  1. That looks so awesome! You did that before your arm though right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, you are nasty. Please tell me you didn't really like that gum poll. Yuck!

    Shaun, hard core as usual, packing both kids. I'm impressed but not surprised;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I have more time on my hands I'm posting the trips we took back in May.
    And no I did not really lick the gum pole. Tempting, but no.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good, Cause I was going to throw up. I'll just swallow it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good times! shaun is such a stud carrying your little ones like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz, I love your site. I will pass on your blog to other family members, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz,
    Nice looking elbow. You've got a very cute family. I've added your blog to my family's blog, come check ours out at we4kingsofpeoria.blogspot.com.

    Take care. -Mike King

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liz, you probably have five times as many staples as I had on my shoulder. I'm jealous. And I'm jealous of Shaun's MK19 Grenade Launcher ops.

    ReplyDelete