Saturday, May 5, 2012

My 1st 5k

4:15am - woke up, wide awake.  Tried to go back to sleep but couldn't.  Too nervous and excited.  Oh, well.  Might as well head out.
4:45am - headed out with my water bottle, oatmeal with raisin, camera, and my runner's number pinned to my Stroller Strides Moms Rock tank.  I am on my way to the Jamba Juice Banana Man 5k run.  My first ever of any such event.
5:10am - arrived at the Ala Moan Beach Park and realized I am one of the first runners here!  I don't meet with my Stroller Stride Moms for another hour.  I ended up walking around and enjoying the way the full moon set in the ocean and the sun rise up.
I have a horrible snap and shoot camera.  It didn't do what I wanted, because the actual view was stunning. You could see the full moon just hanging over the ocean and illuminating the palm trees and beach.  Very beautiful, it was.
6:15am - I finally spy my girls walking over, and we huddle in a group till everyone shows up.  I already have my timer strapped on my ankle.  As we are waiting for others to show up it starts to sprinkle off and on, and the results was a full rainbow over our heads.  Fantastic start!
The rainbow was too big to take as a whole!

Lindsey, Trish, Stacey, Me and Megan.  Taken right before we head over to the starter's line.
6:40am - We all head over to the starter's line to wait for the go at 7:00am.  I'm now starting to wish I had taken pictures with the guys dressed up as bananas!  These Banana guys would run at the front of the race, and if you caught up to them and passed them at the finish line you win free Jamba Juices for a year.  That will be my goal for next year!



So nervous and excited by this time.  I kept thinking "Start already!!"
 7:04am - We are still waiting to start......
7:08am - And we are off!  I try to keep pace with one of the girls who zooms off (Stacey is super fast), but being real sick for a couple weeks and not working out because of it really slowed me down.  But!...I am proud to say I stayed at a decent pace and was able to finish just under 30 mins.
7:37am - Whoo Hoo!!  Finished my first 5k!


For all my sweat and hard work I got a free minuscule Jamba Juice and half a banana.  I would totally do this again in a heart beat.  I had a lot of fun.  I definitely will be better prepared next time though.


3 comments:

  1. Liz!!! Way to go:) I have been preparing for one but haven't chosen which one to walk (let alone run in 30 minutes!)in yet. I'm not sure I can get the palm trees, rainbows and banana guys - but if they gave you free jambas for a year i would totally train for that! - Love you so much - so proud:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so so so awesome! i have been wanting to do one too. august will be my first one! you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running! Wow! I loved the pictures and the explanation, Liz. Well done. And now, the blog is so much easier for understanding sequence. Hooray! Love the children's pictures and that food you make is rather odd, but great for Ian. Love you, Mom/Michelle

    ReplyDelete